Rainy Day Ideas
The library has served the residents of Empire, Glen Arbor, and Kasson townships since 1977. The library was first housed in an annex of the former Bolton Department Store building in Empire. In 1983, the library moved down the street to its current location, previously used as the Empire Fire Hall.
Library service in Traverse City had very early beginnings, the first progenitor of the Library District began operation in 1859. The Carnegie building was dedicated in 1905 and, with it the beginning of library service as we know it today. A substantive addition was made to the building in 1966. The creation of an independent library districtwas effected in January, 1984. Creation of the Traverse Area Library District pulled together library operations in a federated system that includes the former Traverse City Public Library and the Fife Lake, Interlochen, Kingsley, and Peninsula Public Libraries. The former Traverse City Public Library serves as the Headquarters Library for the library district. Branch libraries, the East Bay Branch Library and Kingsley Branch Library, are operated through the Traverse Area District Library.
610 Woodmere Ave.
Traverse City, MI 49686